02 Nov 2018
Complimentary scenic helicopter flight for Heritage Expedition guests
Heritage Expeditions is delighted to offer expeditioners reserving one of the last minute berths aboard our Beyond Fiordland - New Zealand's Wildest Islands 2018 voyage a complimentary scenic helicopter tour* with Southern Lakes Helicopters to experience the spectacular natural wonders of Dusky Sound and Fiordland from above.
Having explored the awe-inspiring historic Fiord aboard our expedition vessel Spirit of Enderby and out on our zodiacs, we will then experience first-hand the breath-catching views of glistening waters and jagged, towering peaks on a scenic flight specially created by legendary pilot and owner of Southern Lakes Helicopters Sir Richard (Hannibal) Hayes.
The tour includes a mountain-top landing on Mt Pender where we will experience first-hand the beauty and solitude of the surrounding 365 islands during this unforgettable finale to our Heritage Expedition voyage.
With only a few spaces left, you'll need to be quick to take advantage of this exclusive offer!
Image: Dusky Sound, (c) Southern Lakes Helicopters
Akademik Shokalskiy in Fiordland (c) Russ Collection
Beyond Fiordland: New Zealand's Wildest Islands [11 Days]
12 - 22 Dec, 2018
Invercargill, New Zealand and Return
Discover the world-class wilderness and wildlife experiences of World Heritage sites, nature reserves and New Zealand's Subantarctic Snares, Campbell, and Auckland Islands on board expedition vessel Spirit of Enderby with Heritage Expedition's legacy cruise Beyond Fiordland: New Zealand's Wildest Islands.
Located in the 'Albatross Isles', 10 of the world's albatross species breed in the region, the islands are administered with the highest protection; tourism is only allowed under special license. Home to endemic Snares, Crested Penguin breeding grounds, soaring albatross and petrels, discover New Zealand Sea Lion colonies, tapestries of flowering megaherbs and dramatic coastlines - each day is an epic adventure of discovery.
Explore the remote ice-carved mountains, verdant forests, winding fiords and beautiful landscapes of Fiordland National Park and Stewart Island's Ulva Island, free of introduced pests and home to a range of birdlife.
These islands and region represent a priceless ecosystem, showcasing the work that the New Zealand Government's Department of Conversation has, and is, undertaking to protect, preserve and re-introduce New Zealand's amazing wildlife. You will also help further this important cause with 5% of your cabin price donated to their valuable work in these regions.
This is a once in a lifetime expedition to explore remote parts of New Zealand's Southern region, an area known for its range of birdlife and jaw dropping scenery on a grand scale and where we hope to see a large number of New Zealand's Threatened Species.
Whether you're a birder, photographer, wildlife enthusiast, or simply an adventurous spirit, this expedition offers an unparalleled travel experience.
Yellow-eyed Penguin (c) E Bell
- Legacy voyage, a tribute to early days when Heritage pioneered expedition cruising along this coastline in 1985
- Island Groups: Snares, Aucklands, Campbell
- Partnership voyage with NZ Department of Conservation. Directly contribute to the future of New Zealand's most precious regions - 5% of each booking will be donated to the Department of Conservation's valuable work
- Explore the rugged coastline of NZ's South Island
- Majestic and isolated Fiordland National Park, including Doubtful and Dusky Sounds and Acheron Passage, Astronomer's Point and Pickersgill Harbour
- Fascinating birdlife on predator-free Ulva Island and Paterson Inlet - Stewart Island Weka, South Island Kaka, Mohua (Yellowhead), Red-Crowned Parakeet
- Look for marine life like Bottlenose Dolphins, Fiordland Crested Penguins and Little Penguins
- Zodiac cruise along the Penguin Rockslide at the Snares
- Visit the Southern Royal Albatross Colony at Campbell Is.
Megaherbs, Campbell Island (c) E Whitehead
*Scenic helicopter tours are weather dependant and cannot be redeemed for cash. The tour is non-transferrable and only valid during Heritage Expeditions' Beyond Fiordland - New Zealand's Wildest Islands 2018 voyage.